Simple Floor Cleaning: Mopping with Bleach
Floors are full of visible (and invisible) dirt, debris, germs and bacteria from constant foot traffic. Consistent cleaning is a must to maintain clean floor in your home or business. One of the best all around floor cleaning options is bleach. Bleach works great on vinyl, non-porous tile and even grout.
Hard floor surfaces, especially in kitchens and bathrooms, can be easily cleaned with a bleach and water solution. It’s a simple process:
- Open windows, run fans and allow air flow to circulate.
- Sweep or vacuum loose dirt and debris.
- Mix proper ratio of bleach and water – 1/3 cup of bleach per gallon of water.
- Use mop or sponge to apply solution to floor surface – Allow solution to sit on floor surface for 6 minutes. Scrub as needed with a scrub brush to remove tough stains.
- Thoroughly rinse floor surface – Use plain water to rinse floors before letting area air dry.
- Allow to air dry.
- To disinfect with bleach and water solution, pre-clean the floor by wiping away organic matter before applying the bleach and water solution.
- The bleach and water solution is safe to use in home with pets and children. Just be sure to keep them out of the area while floors are being cleaned and until the floor has dried.
- Can bleach be used on hardwood floors?
Bleach is not recommended for cleaning hardwood floors. As an alternative, Pine-Sol works great on hardwood floors. Just be sure the polyurethane finish on the flooring is in good condition with no worn spots before cleaning. Always test on a small inconspicuous area before cleaning a hardwood floor.
- Does the bleach and water solution disinfect floors?
Yes, as long as the floor is free of visible soil before cleaning begins. For visibly soiled surfaces, pre-clean the surface before disinfecting and be sure the bleach and water solution contacts the surface for 6 minutes before rinsing.
SupplyLand has everything you need to clean and maintain spotless floors at your home and business. Below is a recommended list of products for effective floor cleaning and disinfecting:
- Clorox Bleach or Pine-Sol (for hardwood floors)
- Mop Buckets & Wet Floor Signs
- Industrial Wet Mop or Jumbo Sponge
- Disposable Nitrile Gloves or Chemical Resistant Nitrile Gloves
- Scrub Brush
- Clean Water
The information contained in this article is for informational, educations and promotional purposes only and is based on information available as of the initial date of publication. It is the reader’s responsibility to ensure compliance with all applicable laws, rules, codes and regulations. If there is any question or doubt in regard to any element contained in this article, please consult a licensed professional. Under no circumstances will SupplyLand be liable for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on this article.